Mike Laurencelle

I'm a SharePoint & Server Systems Administrator for Sears Home Improvement Products, headquartered in sunny Longwood, Florida. My primary functions revolve around SharePoint and Virtualization technologies.

I've been in the IT industry now for about 18 years. For me, IT is more than a job to make a living, more than a career to call my own. It's my passion. I am a self proclaimed geek and have interest in all things technology. I can't imagine being in any other field - I absolutely love what I do.

.NET 3.5 SP1 Kills SharePoint Search

1

Posted on : 9:28 PM | By : Mike Laurencelle | In : ,

I found myself very frustrated earlier this week when I found that SharePoint search was not working. It wasn't returning any errors when you submitted a search. It just wouldn't provide any results.

After a quick glance at the error logs, I found I was getting an Event ID 2436 saying Access Denied:

Details: Access is denied. Verify that either the
Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add
a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a
SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has
"Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application
being crawled. (0x80041205)

Naturally, I immediately checked my Web Application Policy to confirm that my Search account had Read Access in case someone inadvertantly removed it. However, it was still there.

After about half the morning of removing and re-adding permissions and resetting passwords and re-creating the index, I finally found several posts pointing at the .NET 3.5 SP1 update causing this problem. Sure enough, the update had been installed over the weekend.

Thankfully, this one was an easy fix that could be done on the fly. Open RegEdit and go to HKLP\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa and create a new DWORD value named DisableLoopbackCheck. Then, set the value to 1. Lastly, restart the WSS Search service and then run the following from a command line to initiate a full crawl:

stsadm -o spsearch -action fullcrawlstart

Within a couple minutes, search was back online and users were happy.

Share this :

  • Stumble upon
  • twitter

Comments (1)

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.